the cultural crossroads of European creativity

As Capital of Europe, Brussels is an ideal city for students…

Brussels, the cultural crossroads of European creativity

As the capital of Europe, Brussels is an ideal city for students.

As the heart of the European Union, Brussels has gradually become one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe, while having none of the disadvantages of a megacity. 1h20 from Paris, 2h from London, 1h50 from Amsterdam and Cologne, 30 minutes from Lille: Brussels is at the center of Europe.

Brussels is a very dynamic city but retains a quality of life unique for a large capital. The exciting mix of cultures brings great cultural wealth to this city, known for being a hub for developing highly valued, creative students and renowned, professional creatives. Big names in design (many of whom are teachers at the CAD), advertising, fashion, music and cinema as well as the world of comics, theatre and dance showcase their creations in Brussels as well as the rest of the world.

Students adapt to Brussels and live well here because they are appreciated and welcomed with open arms. Going out and having fun, while feeling safe, is one of the big advantages of this city.

Additionally, it is very easy to find housing for students in Brussels and at particularly affordable prices, which is very rare for a major capital city.

The CAD is nestled in lush greenery in Uccle, a beautiful residential area in the south of Brussels. It is well-served by public transport, and is, among other things, only a 9-minute tram ride from the Gare du Midi (South Station) where the high speed international rail links like the TGV, Thalys and Eurostar depart from.

Classes are taught in English. Over 50% of CAD students come from all over Europe: there are over 20 nationalities represented at the CAD. Welcome to all of you!

Housing in Brussels

It is very easy to find accommodation for students in Brussels and at particularly affordable prices, which is very rare in major capitals. In addition, the CAD is located in a residential area and is not far from Brussels University. There are many opportunities for renting a studio or small apartment in the area of the CAD; please refer to the following websites:

Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about housing in Brussels.

Visa and other practical info

  1. Visa et residence in Belgium

If you are not a national of a member state of the European Union, you will need a visa to study in Belgium. A visa request is made to the Belgian embassy of the country of origin. As a general rule, the authorisation to stay for more than 3 months in Belgium is granted to the foreign student who produces the following documents:

  • a certificate of definitive registration or certificate of provisional admission or certificate of enrolment in an examination for admission to a higher school;
  • a national passport valid for 12 months;
  • proof that he/she has sufficient means of subsistence;
  • a medical certificate stating that he/she is not suffering from a disease that could endanger public health;
  • if he/she is over 21 years old, a certificate attesting the absence of convictions for crimes or offenses of common law.

Please note: It takes about 3 months to obtain a visa. For administrative papers to be ready in Brussels for September, a completed file must be introduced by late May, at the latest.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about visas.

Registration to the municipal administration is compulsory for foreign students (outside the European Union). You must go to the municipal administration of the place where you will reside within 8 days of your entry in Belgium, and ask for your registration to the register of foreigners and the issuance of a residence card (card A).

Students will have to renew their residence permit every year before October 1st. For this, they must present various documents to the municipal administration:

  • a certificate of registration in a school;
  • a certificate confirming that they have attended all the exams of the previous academic year;
  • proof of sufficient means of subsistence.

More infoBelgium Student Visa

  1. Healthcare

In Belgium, individual health insurance is compulsory. As a result, students must join a ‘mutual fund’ (mutualité) of their choice. If any health problems occur, they can then consult a doctor and be reimbursed for a large part of the medical expenses incurred.

Foreign students from the EU will first contact the Social Security organization of their country (European card) and then a Belgian Mutual fund of their choice. Medical expenses will be reimbursed directly without a qualifying period. Only a mandatory additional contribution is required.

Foreign students outside the EU or countries not covered by the European card, must contact a mutual fund directly after their registration to the municipal administration of where they are resident. Only a mandatory additional contribution is required.

To register for a Mutual Fund, the following conditions must be respected:

  • Be a Belgian Resident
  • Provide an extract from the Population Register of the municipality where resident
  • Be in possession of an Identity Card
  • Be in possession of a Student Card or Certificate of Education if applicable
  • Declaration on their honour that they have no income

More infolist of Mutual Funds

  1. Foreign diplomas and equivalences

If you have a foreign higher education diploma issued outside of Europe, please refer to the Belgian Embassy in your country for the diploma equivalence application.

If you have any questions about housing or paperwork, do not hesitate to contact us.