Programme in INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
Cycle 1: 3 years – 180 ECTS
Cycle 2: 2 years – 120 ECTS
Total: 5 years – 300 ECTS
The trades of interior architect and designer have evolved a lot in recent years. These professionals must be able to arrange public, commercial or private spaces, draw furniture, accessories, imagine exhibitions, design cultural events …
On the other hand, a complementarity between architects and interior designers has developed over time. Indeed, the technical, technological and regulatory constraints are becoming increasingly important to architects. As a result, parts of their former missions are now entrusted to interior architects. They now have the same level of education (5 years) and work independently or collaboratively.
In addition to his qualities as an observer, his ability to find information and his spirit of synthesis, the interior architect & designer is first of all a creative. Once the project is designed, he musts direct the various trades, subcontractors or manufacturers, control prices, deadlines and the proper execution of the work. Creativity and rigor are the keys to a future success!
The CAD teaches students to address all aspects of the profession. This richness and this relationship with the reality of the job allow our students to easily find very good internships during their studies and a job very soon after graduation.
CLASSES IN INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
1st Year – (Integrated) Preparatory Year
- Drawing, painting
- Photography, video
- Exhibition visits & History of art
- Creativity Fitness
- Spatial creation
- Graphic design
- Photoshop / Illustrator
2nd & 3rd Years
- Interior architecture
- Product and furniture Design
- Digital & organic architecture
- History of Architecture, Furniture and Design
- Building Technology
- Study of materials
- C.A.O. (computer-aided design): Autocad, Sketch up, Rhino, Revit …
4th & 5th Years
The CAD is now offering new 2-year cycles in partnership with the École de Design de Nantes.
During these two years, the student will work on more transversal and cross-cultural themes, in line with the IMW (International Multidisciplinary Workshops) already organised in the 2nd and 3rd years at the CAD.
These two years are divided into 4 semesters in total:
- Semester 1: Transversal project in Brussels
- Semester 2: equivalent of an Erasmus is 4 to 4 1/2 months in one of the 3 “studios” hosted in prestigious universities in São Paulo (Brazil), Shanghai (China) or Pune (India).
- Semester 3: graduation project. During this same period, he follows 160 hours of business management course including classes in accounting, taxation, entrepreneurship, law, professional ethics …
- Semester 4: 2 x 3 months of internships, including at least one abroad (ie outside Belgium and outside the student’s country of origin).
Finally, the student presents his complete curriculum to a final jury composed of professionals qualified to award him the diplomas of the CAD and the École de Design de Nantes.
INTERNSHIPS IN INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
- Two 1-week internships during the Easter break: 1 in a structural company and 1 in a carpentry company.
- 1 week in a carpentry workshop where the student makes his own object during the Easter break.
- 1 week at a general contractor during the Easter break.
- 4 weeks in an (interior) architecture or design office during the summer holidays.
- 2-week workshop in Shanghai during the Easter break.
- 10 weeks in an (interior) architecture or design office between July and the end of October.
- Two 3-month internships in an (interior) architecture or design office between February and the end of September.
All internships must be submitted to the pedagogical committee for approval. The goal is indeed to develop, together with the student, a mix of internships as to achieve a complete training while taking the student’s future aspirations into account.