Programme in COMMUNICATION DESIGN
Cycle 1: 3 years – 180 ECTS
Cycle 2: 2 years – 120 ECTS
Total: 5 years – 300 ECTS
The worlds of communication and advertising have changed a lot. Internet, social media and now connected objects, have changed the ways of communicating. The relationships between the clients of advertising agencies (advertisers) and their own customers (consumers) have also evolved.
Indeed, in the digital world, a new discipline called UX (for User Experience) design aims to increase the satisfaction of users of a product or service by improving the usability, accessibility and pleasure provided by the interaction with this product/service.
The advertising agency of today and its creatives must be able to offer a global communication, create advertising concepts and then adapt them to all new media. The creative plays the role of art director to create a new brand identity, imagine a new logo, develop a new packaging, create interfaces of websites and connected objects, mobile applications … in line with the real needs of consumers.
Finally, there is a growing demand for experts in Motion Design. This new communication tool consists of animating graphic elements (images, photos, illustrations, typography, video …) with sound. These animations are used for advertising films, animations of interfaces (web, mobile …), video productions (music clips, movie credits, …) or to create graphic universes in different domains (visual identities, video games, …).
CLASSES IN COMMUNICATION DESIGN
1st Year – (Integrated) Preparatory Year
- Drawing, painting
- Photography, video
- Exhibition visits & History of art
- Creativity Fitness
- Graphic design
- Photoshop / Illustrator
2nd & 3rd Years
- Digital design (websites, mobile applications, etc.)
- Graphic design
- Art direction
- Motion Design
- UX / UI Design
- Advertising Conception
- Layout & Storyboard
- Cultural visits
4th & 5th Years
The CAD is now offering new 2-year cycles in partnership with the École de Design de Nantes.
During these two years, the student will work on more transversal and cross-cultural themes, in line with the IMW (International Multidisciplinary Workshops) already organised in the 2nd and 3rd years at the CAD.
These two years are divided into 4 semesters in total:
- Semester 1: Transversal project in Brussels
- Semester 2: equivalent of an Erasmus is 4 to 4 1/2 months in one of the 3 “studios” hosted in prestigious universities in São Paulo (Brazil), Shanghai (China) or Pune (India).
- Semester 3: graduation project. During this same period, he follows 160 hours of business management course including classes in accounting, taxation, entrepreneurship, law, professional ethics …
- Semester 4: 2 x 3 months of internships, including at least one abroad (ie outside Belgium and outside the student’s country of origin).
Finally, the student presents his complete curriculum to a final jury composed of professionals qualified to award him the diplomas of the CAD and the École de Design de Nantes.
INTERNSHIPS IN COMMUNICATION DESIGN
- 2 weeks in the sales or marketing department of a big company during the Easter break.
- 3 weeks in an agency during the Easter break.
- 4 weeks in an agency during the summer holidays.
- 2-week workshop in Shanghai during the Easter break.
- 10 weeks in an agency between July and the end of October.
- Two 3-month internships in an agency between February and the end of September.
All internships must be submitted to the pedagogical committee for approval. The goal is indeed to develop, together with the student, a mix of internships as to achieve a complete training while taking the student’s future aspirations into account.